Sustainable housing and real estate in Kitchener-Waterloo Region

Knowing your rights and responsibilities as a landlord.
February 23, 2009, 9:26 pm
Filed under: Rebecca Sargent, Rentals | Tags: , , ,

Knowing your rights and responsibilities is very important if you are a property owner of a tenanted building. You should also know what the expectations of the tenant will be.
Here is a list of useful websites and services for rental property owners in the Kitchener-Waterloo region:

You are required by the Landlord and Tenant Board as rental property owners to provide your tenant with the following brochure:

What to do with problem tenants, which forms to file (and copies of the forms), when to file them and how to file them with the Landlord Tenant Board:

Landlord and Tenant Board
Telephone Number: 1-888-332-3234

Filing rental income taxes with Canada Revenue Agency:

Centre for Equality Rights Accommodation (CERA)
Provides information and advice on housing discrimination and on evictions. Has helpful for advice on how to prevent human rights abuse in housing and rental units.
Phone number: 1.800.263.1139

Landlord self-help Centre
Phone number: 1-800-730-3218

Waterloo Region
Community Legal Services
170 Victoria Street South,
Kitchener, Ont. N2G 2B9
Tel: 519-743-0254
Fax: 519-743-1588

Rent Bank/Eviction Prevention Program
Program to secure housing for persons in danger of being evicted or in need of help with a rental loan in a case where a tenant doesn’t have funds (for whatever reason) and cannot secure them otherwise. Also can help with last month’s rent deposits. If a tenant tells you they do not have the money for rent– you can try sending them here.
165 King Street East
Kitchener, Ontario
N2G 2K8
Tel: Kristine Dearlove – 519-743-2246 x 225

By-Law Enforcement Kitchener: (519) 741-2330
By-Law Enforcement Waterloo: (519) 747-8557
Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal: 1-888-332-3234

Information package to give to your tenants (if you so choose): What tenants need to know about the law. May be helpful to you to see what they can do and what they can’t.

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO).
Tenant information booklets on:
Can your landlord take your stuff?
Fighting an eviction
Maintenance and repairs
Moving Out
Rent Increases
Web tools for renters with roommates: Sharing rental Housing

If you need more information, please feel free to contact me.